Life as MommyMo

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Relay For Life -- a shameless plug

Relay For Life is not just my job. It's really a big part of our lives. When Rob was diagnosed with cancer over 11 years ago, he didn't want to talk about it. To anyone. But I still had a huge need to do SOMETHING. Volunteering is in my DNA, but Rob didn't want anything to do with anything about cancer.

I'd lost Andrew in May, and less than six months later, Rob was diagnosed. That was a lot for a 22-year-old to process, but the one thing I knew was that I needed to find a way to somehow volunteer for the "cancer cause." I didn't exactly plan for my opportunity to come because I was laid off and needed a job, but such is life.

From the minute I started working for the American Cancer Society, I knew I'd found my calling. Rob still didn't want to admit he'd had cancer, but after he saw his first Survivors Lap at a Relay For Life, he got it. We've been Relaying ever since.

I know that many people we know were there when Rob battled with cancer or have walked alongside someone else who's fought a good fight. So... If you got an email from me today or are reading this now, I am plugging Relay not because it's my job, but because I still feel the importance of doing my little part in our own community to make sure research and family services continue.

Here's my fundraising page I'd love it if you could join us for a lap at Relay on June 7 or if you could make a donation to support the cause. I work every day to make sure your contributions are put to very good use!

0 comments: