Life as MommyMo

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Tales from the road


Well, we've been in Kansas City just under 48 hours now, and I've already made up for 19 years of NOT driving the roads in my hometown. I feel like I've been in the car since we got here.

This is a very spread-out city, which becomes very apparent when you have meetings and plans to see relatives on the same day. I think I drove every single major road in the Kansas City metropolitan area yesterday... in the snow.

There wasn't a lot of snow, but for some reason, it sent everyone here for a loop. I was listening to the news on the radio, and realized that I'd seen with my own eyes at least half of the 15 accidents they were detailing in traffic reports. I was lucky to have missed the 35 car pile-up on I-35. Seriously. After less than an inch of snow. We're considering moving here at some point WHY?!

Does global warming or El Nino or whatever natural phenomenon that has given us such a warm year also take with it the collective ability to drive in inclement weather?

At least people here are nice on the roads, though. Can anyone in New Jersey recall the last time you saw an entire lane of traffic move left when approaching an entrance ramp so as to make it easier for the merge traffic to join the flow?! Everyone does it. Really weird. Nice for an out-of-town driver like me, but still eerie.

We have more playdates today with cousins. Sam has been a total champ in the travel department. Other than not figuring out how to nap at a strange house with Nonni on duty, he's been fantastic. His little body clock has been set spinning, but he's been happy and ready to entertain all the new people he meets.

His hall of fame remark so far?

My aunt asked him, "Sam, did you fly here on an airplane?"

His deadpan response, "No, it was a jet."

0 comments: